Re: new names for OWL lite/fast/large

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 16:30, Frank van Harmelen wrote:

> > ACTION Frank: collect suggestions for replacement name (for owl lite,
> > large, and fast)
>
> We should get this ball rolling if we want to use the new names in our
> soon-to-be-released documents.
>
> Candidates so far:
>
> OWL Light: ?
	wimpy
> OWL fast: OWL/FOL-style
	neat
> OWL large: OWL/RDF-style
	scruffy

;-)

I don't think "FOL-style" means much to web developers.

Borrowing from the WiFi/WEO world, we could go
with gold/silver/bronze. Sorta content-free, though.

Similarly OWL level 1/2/3.

Let's see; the salient characteristics of light
are: maximal interoperability, ease of implementation,
ease of learning/training/UI, at a cost of expressive
(and inferential) power.

names that come to mind: OWL easy, OWL small, minimal OWL

of fast: guaranteed/complete results in a (fairly?) predictable
running time, at a cost of some expressiveness and flexibility
of expression; substantial
implementation cost, but a cost that has been paid
by several projects, with at least one open source
solution.

names: computable OWL, OWL traditional, OWL classical,
	constrained OWL, flat OWL

of large: maximal expressive power, where the cost
is that the computers aren't guaranteed to realize
all the consequences of what you write.

names: full OWL, web OWL

Hmm... the more I think about it, the
more I like lite/fast/large.