Re: Formally specifying HTTP GET operations

At 8:12 AM -0500 11/27/02, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>There are several points in which we desire to formally specify an HTTP GET
>operation. When we wish to assert the 'contents' of a URI, we wish to assert
>the contents of an RDF document obtained when dereferencing the URI. This
>exposes the need to formally define the HTTP GET operation itself.
>
>[snip]

>Formally defining an HTTP GET operation might be out of the scope of OWL,
>but hopefully this description will demonstrate some of the issues in
>defining OWL entailments that cross HTTP GET operations.
>
>Jonathan

I am afraid that I agree with Jonathan that this is likely out of
scope for the WG.  However, producing something that shows how OWL
could be used in ways that interact with other aspects of web life
(like HTTP GETs) is something that would help show the power of our
semantics.  I wouldn't encourage it as belonging in our WG document
release, but if some small group of interested people produced
something as either a Note or even as something we could link on our
Web page as
a "hot to" example (i.e. in our possibly to be produced "FAQ" page)
that might be worth pursuing.
  -JH
p.s. It might also be something a few people might want to do as a
submission to a conference or web journal, it seems like it still
might have a research flavor to it