Re: SEM: Light review of semantics document

>pat hayes wrote:
>>
>>  I have no problem with that, but I have always understood this to
>>  simply be an XML marker for the presence of OWL syntax in the RDF
>>  graph. Why do we need to say anything more than that? "owl:ontology"
>>  isn't in the graph, right? So its not in the namespace, and it has no
>>  semantics. If "owl:ontology" is in the OWL namespace, then we ought
>>  to say what an RDF triple which includes that name means.
>
>I missed that. I had thought that once we decided that OWL was using RDF
>syntax that <owl:Ontology rdf:about="foo"> was intended to be an RDF
>typedNode. That is to say generate at least the following triple:
>
>:foo rdf:type owl:Ontology .

Well, OK, I can go with that. BUt then there is a serious gap in the
OWL semantics, which doesn't mention owl:Ontology anywhere. I gather
from the above that whatever it is, it must have an RDFS class
extension. Is there anything more to be said about what it means? If
so, we ought to say it quickly.

>>  The difference is that one of them contains OWL syntax and the other
>>  does not. End of story.
>
>That's the problem, since in OWL Full, as in RDF, we might subClassOf and
>subPropertyOf essentially _anything_ then it is indeed possible to write
>something that is intended to be an ontology (whatever that may be, let's
>use the English definition) that doesn't use any actual terms from the OWL
>namespace.

Presumably, in this case, OWL won't know what it means so won't draw
any conclusions from it. ( I have this weird feeling that we are
talking about an Alice-in-wonderland scenario, however.)

>Suppose
>
>ex:myClass rdfs:subClassOf owl:Class .
>ex:myOnt rdfs:subClassOf owl:Ontology .
>
>and then an 'instance' document
>
><rdf:RDF>
>     <ex:myOntology rdf:about="">
>     </ex:myOntology>

?? What triple did *that* generate?

>     <ex:myClass rdf:ID="foo">
>         <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="...#yourFoo"/>
>     </ex:myClass>
></rdf:RDF>
>
>>  What about the many other cases, such as  <rdf:RDF>....</rdf:RDF>
>>  which contains non-ground RDFS, say? ...
>
>Aren't we agreeing?

I'm not sure: I don't really know what you are saying.

My point here was to object to Jim's characterization of the
difference in terms of RDF being ground facts and OWL being 'real
ontologies', on the grounds that this distinction wasn't binary.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam