Re: Guide suitable for release

Hello,

In his message (Guide suitable for release) of 05/11/2002,
Smith, Michael wrote:
>The attached version of the Guide has been blessed by Chris Welty and is
>ready for distribution.

First this is a very good primer. Consistent and easy to read.
I provide a few comments below. Most of them are typos and details.

The species of OWL
OWL/Full: related to a comment below about the use of
intension/extension. This concurs to Frank's comment to not introduce
intension/extension here.

The distribution of Ontologies
1st paragraph: "The consequences,..." I would add a "However" or
something like that to link to the former sentence.

Ontology Headers
The paragraph about the Dublin core is not related to the example and
this does not help the reader.

Defining Simple Hierarchical Named Classes
There is one subclassOf (instead of subClassOf) in the text.

Defining properties
"And the transitive composition of this relation essentially creates
a tree of geographic subregions whose leaves can be anything" is not
correct, the transitivity in itself does not generate a tree (for
instance it could loop into several funny regions located in
themselves...).

"cliché" is used twice in the text in a way disturbing for me because
it does not corresponds to the meaning I am used to (even in
English). If it is common to use it that way in English, I just
demonstrated my ignorance, if it is not, I would avoid it in order to
not disturb other people like me.

Properties and Datatypes
The ENTITY &dt;wineYear is used in one example in replacement of the
dte namespace defined in introduction. However, it is not defined
anywhere. I would add &dt; in the entity definitions examples (and
maybe withdraw the xmlns:dte from the namespace examples).

TransitiveProperty
Writing "implies" instead of "->" is more legible, less ambiguous for
the layman.

#UsRegion is used in the example and USRegion in the text.

SymmetricProperty
inverseOf
"if and only if" instead of "iff"

Functional Property
InverseFunctionalProperty
"only if" instead of "->"

Ontology Mapping
last line of the introduction: expand "KB"

Set Operators
I am uncomfortable with the idea that we are "manipulating class extensions".
I would rather propose the following formulation:
"OWL provides basic set operators over class expressions". Indeed, in
the example no extension is applied those set operators, only
"intensions" (e.g., Class, Restriction, or resources).

Moreover, the section begins with a "Since OWL class extensions are
sets", may be something should be reminded here.
I thought the following: "Sometimes we want to emphasize the
distinction between a class as an object and a class as a set
containing elements. We call the set of individuals that are members
of a class the extension of the class." taken from the "Basic
definitions" section can come here (it is not used in the Basic
definitions, but in the "Design for use part" which is
self-explanatory).
The word extension is used once with reference to the semantics.

Complement
"vary large" --> very

The example at the end is very complex because it uses the
transitiveProperty feature of locatedIn for warranting that whatever
is declared to be in, say, Bourgogne, will also be locatedIn
FrenchRegion. I would add a couple of sentences to explain it.

Enumerated Classes
"<owl:oneOf> rdf:parseType="Collection">" not well formed XML.

Wine Agent
Zinfandel is sometimes capitalized and sometimes not, is this correct?

There is a lot of proper name (and even prices) in this example, it
does not look to be common W3C policy

--
  Jérôme Euzenat                  __
                                  /      /\