Re: SEM: 5.1 literal/data values (sameState, peopleKey TESTs)

On July 17, Dan Connolly writes:

> re
>    ACTION connolly point to use case for having datatypes
>      and obejct property in integrated domain
>
> [[
> For example, U.S. states that have the same 2-letter
> postal code are the same state. So if I know
>
>   :stateCode a ont:UnambiguousProperty.
>
>   _:x :stateCode "KS".
>   _:x :population "2688418".
>
>   _:y :stateCode "KS".
>   _:y :stateBird :WesternMeadowlark.
>
> then I should be able to conclude
>
>   _:z :population "2688418".
>   _:z :stateBird :WesternMeadowlark.

Of course it would be convenient to do this, but as you know there are
serious computational implications.

On the other hand, by using a slightly different representation you
may be able to get most of what you want without imposing this
computational penalty on the language. E.g.: everything would be fine
if "KS" were an individual instead of a data value. Alternatively, you
could add an axiom for each state such as:

sameClassAs(oneOf(Kansas), restriction(onProperty(stateCode),someValuesFrom("KS")))

Ian