RE: SEM/GUIDE: subclasses of classes of Properties? (5.3)

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 16:24, Smith, Michael K wrote:
> Chris, Dan, Jos
>
> I confess to agreeing with Chris: I find this example confusing.  I am
> missing something.
>
> Basicly I didn't understand:
>
>    db:KeyProperty rdfs:subClassOf owl:FunctionalProperty.
>
> First I thought, huh, is this how we say something is a functional
> property?

No, it's how we say that each member of a class (KeyProperty) is
a functional property.

>  I would have thought
>
>    db:KeyProperty rdfs:subPropertyOf owl:FunctionalProperty.

no, FunctionalProperty is a class, not a property.
subPropertyOf relates two properties.

> Since nothing in any of the formalizations of RDF or OWL that I have
> seen seems to relate class inclusion to property inclusion.
>
> > I want FunctionalProperty to be usable like any other RDFS Class.
>
> So, now maybe I understand the example better.  The example
> illustrates something that Dan wants. A defined relationship between
> classes and properties, such that if
>
>  A rdfs:subClassOf B
>  B rdf:type rdfs:Property
>
> then whatever property-related restrictions or definitions apply to B,
> they are inherited, VIA THE SUBCLASSOF RELATION, by A.

No, it's nothing like that. I'm just using the
	C1 subClassOf C2
	X type C1
	-----
	X type C2

rule from RDFS, where C1 is KeyProperty, C2 is FunctionalProperty,
and X is fred:customer.

>  ???  E.g.
>
>  A rdfs:subClassOf B
>  B rdf:type rdfs:Property
> ->
>  A rdfs:subPropertyOf B
>
> Is this the point?
>
> As a technical note, I don't understand how Jos's example can work,
> since the default namespaces for the hypothesis and conclusion are
> different in the two files referenced.  And therefore the
> fred#customer references in the two files are to different
> resources. Did I miss something?

Namespaces only apply to qnames, not to URI references.