Regarding multiple language capabilities and a Web Ontology Langu age.

It seems to me that there are two goals.  WOL should be language
neutral and multi-language capable.  These are generic W3C goals that
we support.  Do we need to restate them?  If so, that is fine, but we
need to be clear that whatever we provide here is a convenience, like
'rdfs:comment'.  We can make no commitment to providing any sort of
semantic interpretation of these tags.  They are just labels.

Does the W3C XML Schema syntax provide a multi-lingual capability?
Kind of.  We are encouraged to provide 'xml:lang' attributes for
schemas as a whole and for annotations.  But the primitives are all
English and there is no mechanism for tag synonymy across languages.

Fundamentally, a good multi-language system will depend on tool
support.  When reading an ontology most users will not want to look an
element labeled:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="dog">
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">dog</daml:label>
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="de">Hund</daml:label>
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="it">cane</daml:label>
 <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">chien</daml:label>
 <rdfs:comment>Insert the rest of the EU languages here.</rdfs:comment>
</rdf:Description>

Obviously, this will be permitted by whatever we come up with.
Various projects might even want to enforce this type of description
so that their multi-lingual teams can work together effectively.  But
this is not a problem to be solved by WOL.

- Mike

Michael K. Smith
EDS Austin Innovation Lab
98 San Jacinto, Suite 500