Re: proposal for working on the ontology language

Peter,

Although not formalized, I am thinking of Protege (not that it's
modifiable, you can only add consistently defined new meta-classes). I
also think of CLOS, again as mostly an unformalized language.

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@mitre.org>
> Subject: Re: proposal for working on the ontology language
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:14:42 -0500
>
> [...]
>
> > I also note that there is no meta level to DAML+OIL and I think that was
> > a conscious choice, no?, though I don't know the history of that
> > decision. Sometimes having a modifiable meta level is a very good thing
> > (future language extensions, e.g.)
> >
> > Leo
>
> I would be very interested in hearing of cases where a modifiable meta
> level was actually used.  I wouild be even more interested in hearing of
> such cases that also involved a logical formalism.
>
> peter

Dr. Leo Obrst		The MITRE Corporation
mailto:lobrst@mitre.org Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
Voice: 703-883-6770	7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
Fax: 703-883-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA