Re: Use case categories - 1st cut (action due by Thurs)

Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu> writes:

> I have taken a stab at a categorization of the use cases - I find 3
> natural categories, 1 almost a natural category (two ideas that
> might be related, but don't fit totally) and only a couple of loose
> ends I could not figure out exactly where to fit.

> Loose ends: open hypermedia

OH falls into the gap between the 'archives/catalogues' category and
the 'content adaptation' category (out of the four you've listed). OH
is an information management technique of sorts (based on browsing
rather than searching, granted), but it also requires a degree of
adaptation due to the need to filter the generated links that I
mentioned in my use case.

As an aside, OH could also be considered as a technique for
visualising an ontology (in the context of a collection of documents),
as well as a technique for imposing navigable structures over such
collections.

--
Nick Gibbins                                            nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk
IAM (Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia)             tel: +44 (0) 23 80592831