Re: SEARCH by last path segment, Was: SEARCH for displayname

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> You say "property of the binding" because it's natural to think
> of bindings as having properties.  If that's so natural, then
> there's a strong reason to let it happen.

...I was using "property" as english word, not referring to a DAV property.

If being hidden is a property of a binding, and a binding is part of the
state of the collection, then it follows that the flag is part of the
collection's state, right?

> If we defined a feature to hide bindings, you could set up binding 'foo'
> to resource A as hidden, whereas binding 'bar' to resource A as
> visible.  Then if you request 'ishidden' on 'foo'
> the server returns 'true', and 'ishidden' on 'bar' returns false.

And this is exactly what I want to avoid. If the property belongs to the
parent collection, nothing is lost and we don't need a hack (a property
that varies upon request URI).

Q: to hide a directory entry, do you need write privileges on the
collection the binding is in, or on the resource itself?

> To do this in a more complicated manner requires justification
> which I think we're approaching in a separate mail.

Regards, Julian