Re: SEARCH by last path segment, Was: SEARCH for displayname

Kevin Wiggen wrote:

> Martin,
>

> I take it you do not agree that adding this to the WHERE segment is not
> more powerful?  It will definitely clear up these types of questions.
> If you don’t want to put it in the WHERE (where it could be AND/OR/ETC
> with other requirements as well) why not use some sort of nested
> structure with <d:lastsegment> and allow <d:and> <d:or> <d:not> etc to
> be used.  Then you have ½  the power I am talking about, at least you
> can make the search for ANY type of last segment even though you won’t
> be able to make sure that they conform to certain other where segments
> in the same DASL query.
>

> I find it interesting we argued for multiple scopes because we want the
> server to do the consolidation of different SCOPES, but are ignoring the
> possibility that we might want different WHERE segments for different
> <d:lastsegment> (%.pdf between a certain size and %.doc between a
> certain size.) and make the server again do the consolidation.

Two thoughts here:

- The *preferred* way to search for document types is putting conditions
on DAV:getcontenttype. Keep in mind that relying on file name extensions
is a very bad practice (for instant consult the W3's Web Architecture
Document).

- Moving the condition into the <where> condition makes the definition
easy, but may make the *implementation* extremely hard. Keep in mind
that the we distinguish between the resources (which have a set of
queryable properties) and the URIs mapped to them (with the BIND model,
the set of URIs is a function of the collections having bindings to
them). A server that implements a storage system with this distinction
will usually *first* determine the set of matching objects and only then
  construct the set of URIs pointing to these objects.

Regards, Julian