RE: discovery of search arbiters, was: Comments on search-00 draft

>>If in all current
> implementations, every WebDAV
> > collection (resource?) can act as an arbiter, why not
> require that for
> > basicsearch support?  Is there some prospective SEARCH
> implementation that
> > couldn't handle that?
>
> There could be some. Basically, you could have a search
> arbiter on server a
> which allows generic DAV.basicsearch queries on remote WebDAV
> servers (which
> only support standard PROPFIND).
>
> What would be the benefit of requiring this?

The benefit would be that if the client sees "basicsearch" in the OPTIONS
request for the server, then they know exactly how to find a search arbiter.
Choose any collection. Easy.

It seems to be a tradeoff between easier implementation for the client, and
possibly easier implementation for servers.  We tend to see first the
server's point of view in these mailing lists (including me!)

Lisa