From: www-webdav-dasl-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-webdav-dasl-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Jim Whitehead
Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2000 15:02
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: JW24a (i18n sort ordering)

[ ... ]

First, there doesn't appear to be a normative specification on sort
ordering
available. The Unicode consortium, which has done a lot of work on these
issues, has a set of implementation guidelines that DASL should
reference.
However, at least for the Unicode 2.0 standard (the latest version that
have access to -- there is a new, 3.0 version that was just released),
this
mainly focuses on sorting a sequence where everything is in the same
language.  But, in DASL, we could potentially receive results in
multiple
languages, and I haven't run across any writing that provides guidance
for
the case where the results are in multiple languages.

So, I think the best DASL can do is reference best cur
rent practice, i.e.,
the Unicode 3.0 standard's implementation guideline section on sort
ordering, and note that there is this other problem that nobody has much
insight into. We should note that it is outside of our realm of
expertise to
address these i18n issues, and leave resolution firmly in the hands of
implementors.

- Jim