Re: sorted response inefficient for UIs that need indendation.

At 02:05 PM 6/20/98 PDT, Mark D. Anderson wrote:
>... the column indexes of the columns being sorted may
>not be increasing (i.e. the primary sort may be the 5th property,
>while the secondary sort may be the 3rd).

Ah, again I see I've stated the idea unclearly.

The properties to sort on are explicitly named in the sortby e.g (using a
simpler syntax than in the proposal)
<sortby>
</sortby>

and the values of the (proposed) sortindex property refer to the properties
in the order they occur in sortby, not the column position in the
underlying table, if any.

By the way, in general, while DASL allows the underlying store to be a RDB
(with rows and columns) there is no dependence on this.  DASL should work
equally well for e.g. Verity or for an object oriented database.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.  Does anyone else want to say
something on the topic?