Re: DASL ID 3 Apr: casesensitive

If we drop the casesensitive element so that the client cannot specify
whether the search should be case-sensitive, then we need to specify how
the server must perform the comparison.  We do this for 8.7.3 and 8.7.4,
where we say the comparison must be case-sensitive (does that seem like the
right choice?).  I would suggest that for 8.7.5 (contains), the search must
be case-insensitive.

--Judy

At 10:41 AM 4/16/98 PDT, Jim Davis wrote:
>Suggest that for now, we drop the 'casesensitive' element (e.g. in 8.7.5)
>until we come up with a principled way to deal with it uniformly, e.g. in
>eq and lt as well.
>
>I don't know much about string comparisons, but it just seems possible to
>me that there might be values other than T or F for case-sensitivity.  I
>mean, are there any languages with more than one case?  Or where a
>case-sensitive comparison differs for some glyphs?  That's another reason
>to hold off.
>
>See also my note about the representation of boolean values, in general.

Name:			Judith A. Slein
E-Mail:		slein@wrc.xerox.com
Internal Phone:  	8*222-5169
Fax:			(716) 422-2938