Re: the default initial state for a <parallel> state doesn't make sense

FWIW I was confused by section 3.3.2 repeatedly. I understand now that a parallel is not a "compound state", but it is a "state" (but not a <state>) that has the children mentioned in 3.3.2.

Despite section 3.3.2 being part of 3.3, referring to <state>, it might help if the definition were tweaked to say:

"A compound state is a <state> that has …"

--
(-, /\ \/ / /\/ (via phone)