Re: what is the difference between <dialogterminate> and 'connection.disconnect.hangup' ?

Hi,

Rajesh N wrote:
> Hi Petr,
>
> If  the 'immediate' attribute of <dialogterminate> is set to true, should it
> result in sending connection.disconnect.hangup to VXML?

Again, the way CCXML interpreter requests VXML interpreter to terminate
is implementation specific.
Below I describe our implementation in OptimTalk.

CCXML and VXML standards are independent - CCXML is prepared for
integration with any dialog manager, not only VXML. In some situations
there is no direct one-to-one mapping of VXML and CCXML operations when
VXML and CCXML interpreters are integrated. Therefore we employ a 'bridge'
which translates CCXML to VXML requests and vice versa.

In this bridge, <dialogterminate> results always (regardless the
immediate attribute value) in calling VXML API method which, among others,
throws connection.disconnect.hangup event in VXML.
The only thing influenced by the immediate value is handling of the
results returned from VXML interpretation.
If the attribute value is false the result returned from VXML is ignored.

However, it is possible that some implementations are able to terminate
the interpreter without sending connection.disconnect.hangup and
entering the final processing state.

> As per my understanding:
>
> a) If the event is not be sent in the above case, then how should the VXML
> interpreter platform honour the VXML 2.0 <disconnect> element processing
> requirement - . 'As a result, the interpreter context will throw a
> connection.disconnect.hangup event and enter the final processing state'

Handling of VXML <disconnect> request in CCXML is not performed by the
CCXML platform (interpreter) but rather by the CCXML application
(script). Therefore it is responsibility of the application developer to
handle this situation correctly. See CCXML specification App. D for more
details.
In our implementation, interpretation of VXML <disconnect> sends disconnect
request to the CCXML application. If the VXML application does not obtain
response from CCXML in a timely manner the VXML interpreter throws an error.
We are not very happy that this behavior is dependent on the CCXML application
developer but that's what the specification says.

> b) Instead, if the event is sent to VXML, the VXML interpreter will enter
> final processing, which results in an application exit, which could mean
> that dialog returns data to CCXML, which is not expected for immediate=true
> case.

As described above, in our case the bridge discards returned data.

> c) Also, if the CCXML application does not contain a <dialogterminate> or
> <send event="connection.disconnect.hangup">, how can this be handled? How
> can VXML enter final processing following its <disconnect> ?

It cannot. It is really responsibility of the application developer. If
the CCXML script does not work correctly then VXML is not able to enter
final processing state. As mentioned above OptimTalk implementation throws
an error.

Regards,
Petr

--