From: Pawson, David [mailto:David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:35 AM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-pf@w3.org; Baggia Paolo
Subject: RE: [pls] Invitation letter for WAI/I18N/MMI people interested
on Pronunciation Lexicon spec

Comments on http://www.w3.org/TR/lexicon-reqs/

Dave Pawson, AC, RNIB.

id #whydo.  No definition of platform independence. Is this mean as
  implementation or application independent?

Section 1 list.
Item 6. Unclear as to how to interpret? Does this cover authoring?
E.g. the need for an easy to use Unicode editor.

2.2 Where is 'embedded' defined. Apparent conflict with 2.1 without a
  definition.

Re Lexicon selection. Is that out of scope? E.g. to use existing SSML
lexicon selection.

3.2 Unclear. Is a lexicon a group of entries or a file of groups or a
  file of entries?

3.3 Is IPA required or simply there as an example? Requires
  clarification. See also 6.1.

3.4 Suggest add using xml:lang syntax as per XML rec.

3.5 Suggest add using xml:lang syntax as per XML rec.

4.3 Does a 'unicode sequence variation' cover using diacritical
  characters vs single character alternative representations, e.g. for
  U+00FC.

5.2 How will the application select which pronunciation to use...  I
    see. Perhaps 5.4 could be moved closer to this one, or combined?

5.3 I think that is en-scouse :-) See rfc 3066.
    (Don't want to upset the Liverpool people)

5.4 Combine with | move adjacent to 5.2?

5.5 *if* used in SSML, conflict resolution strategy needed, to resolve
  conflicts between this and 5.4?

6.3 Clarify please, Is the requirement only for word and|or syllable,
  or is that an example only?

6.4 Define platform please.

6.5 Wording to avoid conflict with 6.1. Perhaps, "in addition to the
  standard pronunication alphabet"

7.1 There are no document+fragid schemas in the requirement. Perhaps
  XPATH 2.0 would be helpful here?

7.2 I can see a huge advantage for users (authors) in terms of ease of
  use from trying to include morphological variants. I'd like to see
  this as a should, even if it is clearly stated that this is a first
  attempt to gain experience?

regards DaveP

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
MailAdmin@tilab.com. Thank you