Re: midnight in ISO 8601

Hi Arnold,

"Arnold Daniels" <info@adaniels.nl> writes:

> Each language has it own format in numbers, dates, time, etc. Taking in
> concern that the text is also displayed on screen, voiceXML should not force
> a certain format. Instead the TTS system should use the current language to
> decide how to pronounce the number, date or time correctly.

Even if SSML's say-as element helps the TTS system pronounce

<say-as interpret-as="date">4/5</say-as>

as "may fifth" (in an en-US locale), that doesn't mean that say-as
_forces_ formats. A TTS system is always allowed to pronounce the
unmarked string "4/5" as "may fifth" if it finds that the context
indicates that it's a date. Indeed the Note says:

[[ for "date" strings that a processor would correctly interpret
without a say-as hint, the addition of the appropriate say-as
information should not alter the way in which the date is pronounced. ]]

The format attribute shouldn't be seen as meaning that the content
format inside the say-as element must be in that format. Like the
interpret-as attribute and the say-as element in general, it's just
a hint to help the speech engine. In my opinion, the SSML spec is
clear on that point.

Max.
(my opinion, not the working group's)