Re: Outbound Call Handling

Bob-

Thanks for your reply.  It would be beneficial to come up with a standard
way to control document acquisition -- both for answering an incoming call
and outbound call origination -- in a standardized way.

Example, we want to offer our clients the ability to send us a request (via
HTTP, etc.) to originate an outbound call, which will turn control over to
the document once the call is nailed up.  However, currently, the spec
doesn't really specify how that should be done.  Ideally, if there was a
common XML schema that described the outbound call and a common way to
handle receipt of the XML, then it would simply everyone's life (especially
application developers working with different implementations)... I've kept
this simple and ignored CPA issues (ideally, those might even be vendor
specific events such as dialogic's perfect call analysis...)

Example thoughts:

<vxml>
    <originate-call dest="phone://7705551212" timeout="30s">
                <goto next="http://someurl"/>
                <catch event="telephone.noanswer">
                        <...>
                </catch>
                <catch event="telephone.busy">
                        <...>
                </catch>
    </originate-call>
</vxml>

Ideally, this VoiceXML could be sent to a webserver to originate the
outbound call, which might handle the authentication of the request
(exchange keys, etc.) and then hand over the VoiceXML to the interpreter for
execution.

Any thoughts on this ?  I'd prefer to not re-invent the wheel.

Jeff