RE: VoiceXML for Voice out only.

Dave,

SSML has the <audio> element that permits the intermixing
of TTS and pre-recorded audio.  See Section 2.10 in the
current draft specification.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis#S2.10

> Should it? I.e. no user speech input.

I'm not sure what this means.  If the question is whether
SSML supports speech input (i.e. speech recognition) then
that is handled by the separate grammar specification as
well as by VoiceXML.  If the question is different I'll be
happy to answer it.

Regards,
  Andrew Hunt
  Co-editor SSML