Re: Nu-HTML warning - Aria-label with horizontal rule?

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 07:49:46 +0900
To: Joseph Polizzotto MA <jpolizzotto@berkeley.edu>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
https://www.w3.org/TR/using-aria/#practical-support-aria-label-aria-labelledby-and-aria-describedby
and https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2017/07/short-note-on-aria-label-aria-labelledby-and-aria-describedby/
are what was used as guidance in determining what the checker should warn about.

Note, in the later document, this general comment:

> If you use aria-label, aria-labelledby, or aria-describedby with any
> other elements (like div, span, p, blockquote, or strong etc.), they
> generally won’t work across all browser/assistive technology
> combinations.

Neither of those documents list the hr element as being one that aria-label
should be used with.

So I think the problem you would run into with using aria-label with hr in
the way you’ve described is that you’ll end up finding out it’s not being
announced as expected by current AT software.

  –Mike

Joseph Polizzotto MA <jpolizzotto@berkeley.edu>, 2020-05-29 11:00 -0700:

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike