Re: target is invalid attribute for a

David Dorward wrote:

> There is no correct doctype for code snippets. The validity of any bit
> of HTML depends on what its ancestor elements are.

Nonetheless, the validator /*does*/ allow one to validate a code
fragment against a (very small) number of DOCTYPEs :

> Validate HTML fragment
>
> Use Doctype: 	HTML 4.01 XHTML 1.0

I think that what Ed is requesting is that the validator be extended in
this area to allow additional DOCTYPEs such as HTML 4.01 Transitional
(the "HTML 4.01" offered by the validator is actually HTML 4.01 Strict)
and HTML 5.

Philip Taylor