Re: Default charset in HTML5

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>To: Nick <halbtaxabo-temp4@yahoo.com>

>Nick <halbtaxabo-temp4@yahoo.com>, 2017-03-09 22:31 +0000:

>The HTML checker uses the same HTML parser that Firefox uses. So I’d expect
>that if you take whatever document is causing you to see that “Proceeding
>using windows-1252” message, you might find you get the same behavior in
>Firefox as you’re seeing from the checker. And in other browsers as well.

Google Chrome (56.0) treats it correctly, i.e. as UTF-8. That's the most important
case because Google Chrome has about three times as many users as the
next-most-popular browser according to netmarketshare.com
Firefox renders it wrongly (using windows-1252) which is to be expected if
it uses the same HTML parser as the checker.

Nick