RE: no re-evaluate button at CSS validator

I did not mean to distract from the poster's problem, I was agreeing with him that there are serious issues involved with a lack of things being fixed/maintained/updated within the organization. When I want to reevaluate a page, I hit the back button and resubmit it. Yes, it would be great to have a revalidate this page option on the results page, it would save time.

The included code snippet for a "this pages passes validation" button requires a link-back to the validator and validates the referrer, so in fact, you are wrong, it DOES prove validation. When in a class, teaching HTML/CSS, it is actually nice to have something for students to be proud of, and to put on their new skills. This encourages students to have pride for what they have accomplished. I would think that anything that would encourage people to write code that is up to standard would be supported by the organization and maintained. This apparently is not the case.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Taylor [mailto:P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 1:04 PM - 13:04 PM
To: O'Guin, Phaewryn D. <JDO09280@ccv.vsc.edu>; Eric Richards <2eric.richards@gmail.com>; www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: no re-evaluate button at CSS validator

But the icon never did "prove it validated"; it simply said (at least, to those capable of reading between the lines) "I claim that this page validated at least once, shortly before I added the icon, but I may be lying and even if I am not, the page may have changed many many times since then".

Why do you (or anyone) need a "Valid HTML" or "Valid CSS", or "Valid <whatever>" button ?  The merit comes from validating the page and achieving 100% compliance; trumpeting it thereafter from the rooftops seems more appropriate to Mr Trump than to a modest and unassuming webmaster.

However, if you read back through Eric's thread, you will see that it is not the lack of a button about which he is complaining at all; it is the lack of a "re-evaluate this page feature", which is an entirely different kiddle of fish (and one worthy of attention, unlike the lack of an "I am valid and proud of it" button.

Philip Taylor