Re: wrong error message

On 19 Sep 2016, at 10:31, Richard Zucht wrote:
> I am attaching a screendump to show you how the German word
> "geändert"
> appears when UTF-8 is specified.

That is what happens when you specify UTF-8 but save the document in a
different character encoding.

> I know what code is required to convert
> the black dot to an umlaut. However, this makes editing a German text
> cumbersome.

You generally shouldn’t need any “code”. It’s just a preference
in your editor. I can’t remember the last time I used a system which
didn’t *default* to UTF-8.

(Well, that is true for the simple case anyway, it’s possible to
mangle characters through databases designed for legacy encodings and
such, and if you’re stuck having to deal with a system like that then
its a shame, and probably worth some investment to modernise it).

> I hope you agree with me that demanding UTF-8 instead of Windows-1252
> is
> nonsense.

UTF-8 is a very well established modern standard that can handle just
about any human language. Windows-1252 is a propriety extension to a
legacy standard which can only handle a very small number of languages.
Microsoft, who created Windows-1252, [recommend Unicode over it][1].

[1]:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd317752.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396