Re: Validator flags TH ABBR as obsolete but it's not listed as obsolete in HTML 5.0 Rec, 5.1 draft or WhatWG specs

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, 2015-01-12 22:33 +0200:

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:33:57 +0200
> From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
>
> 2015-01-12, 20:52, Mark Rogers wrote:
>
> >http://validator.w3.org/nu/ flags TH ABBR as obsolete but it's not
> >listed as obsolete in HTML 5.0 Rec, 5.1 draft or WhatWG specs.
>
> More exactly, it is listed in them as a conforming attribute.
>
> >(Seem to recall it being listed as obsolete in an HTML5 spec a
> >couple of years back)
>
> That is correct. In the October 2012 version, it was not described as
> conforming, and it eas explicitly listed as nonconforming:
> “abbr on td and th elements
> Use text that begins in an unambiguous and terse manner, and include any
> more elaborate text after that. The title attribute can also be useful
> in including more detailed text, so that the cell's contents can be made
> terse.”
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-20121025/obsolete.html#non-conforming-features
>
> In the December 2012 version, this was taken back as regards the th
> element. This has been the situation since that. That is, abbr is valid
> for th, invalid for td (and any other element).
>
> >This looks like the cause in Assertions.java:
> >OBSOLETE_ATTRIBUTES.put("abbr", new String[] { "td", "th" });
>
> It should have just "td" there. HTML5 declares abbr as obsolete for td,
> but not for th. (It declares td as purely a data cell, not at as data or
> header+data cell, which was the HTML 4.01 position.)

Yeah, this is a bug in the code. I neglected to bring it up to date with
the spec when the spec changed. I'll get it fixed soon.

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike