Re: <menuitem> content model

David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>, 2014-02-10 21:57 +0000:

> On 10 Feb 2014, at 21:34, Andry Rendy wrote:
>
> >>Where does it say that you may omit the end tag?

The end tag for <menuitem> actually must be omitted. It's now defined as a
void element, so it's a parse error for it to have an end tag.

> >The original WHATWG draft mentions it.
> >http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html#the-menuitem-element
>
> I suspect Nu is keyed off the W3C specification, not the WHATWG one.

The W3C spec also says that <menuitem> is void -

  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/syntax.html#void-elements

As far as the current validator behavior goes, the underlying problem is
that the HTML parser used by the validator doesn't yet treat <menuitem> as
void. We need to first change the parser to treat it as such.

  --Mike