Re: Error on generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt

Hello, Phillip!

Am 03.09.2013 11:31, schrieb Philip Taylor:
> I am confused; if you are able to get at the internals of the generator
> so as to force it to omit the (completely ridiculous and non-conforming)
> "generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt" attribute, why can you not
> instead force it to omit a (normal and completely conforming "alt"
> attribute with either a semantically useful value (e.g., "Picture of
> a Royal Albatross") and if that is not possible (because the generator
> is entirely automated and has no knowledge of the subject matter of
> the image) a semantically valid but less useful value such as "Image
> contents unknown to generator" ?

I am writing the generator. It parses text from a source that gives me
no information about the image but the file name. Of course I could
write something like 'Image contents unknown'. That's what I would have
done if there weren't a generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt
attribute. But since it's there I would like to use it. The validator,
as it is now, is confusing.

Best wishes

Jan

PS
I accidentally sent this message from the wrong account yesterday. Sorry
for the delay.