Re: Error on generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt

Hello, Leif!

Thanks for your answer.

Am 02.09.2013 13:42, schrieb Leif Halvard Silli:
> This is not a bug in the validator

I realised that my subject line was misleading due to a typo. I meant to
type 'Error*s* on ...' meaning: I get error messages. I didn't think it
was a proper bug.

> Thus, if the validator *is* reporting lack of alt as an error, then
> there is no permission to accept the
> @generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt attribute. And if the
> @generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt attribute is present,
> validators ar still permitted to report lack of @alt as an error.

And this does not make any sense at al. I take the attribute as a way to
say: 'Sorry, guys, I know this is wrong but I can't help it.' The
alternative would be to leave the alt text alone and get an error
message. Instead, trying to avoid the error as the standard suggests,
one gets *two* errors

> Hence, the validator behaves correctly.

Hence, the validator behaves ungratefully.

So what could I do? Writing nonsense into the alt value to satisfy the
validator?

Plus, the validator dares to say: 'An img element must have an alt
attribute, except under certain conditions. For details, consult
guidance on providing text alternatives for images.' This is grotesque.
The validator basically *tells* me to use the attribute in order to
avoid the error just to give me an *extra* error when I do so. Catch 22.

In a nutshell, this is a *feature request*, not a bug report: When there
is a generator-unable-to-provide-required-alt="" attribute, the
validator should report a warning instead of two errors.

As it is now the validator behaves like a machine right from 'Brazil'!
(The film 'Brazil', not the country, of course.)

Thank you very much in advance!

Best wishes,

Jan