Re: Validation error from base 64 encoded data in an object element.

Honestly, this is the sort of 'angels on the head of a pin' argument that
makes the standards community look like squabbling ivory tower idiots to
the user community.  I don't know who the audience is for the spec in
question, but it clearly is not users.  The language is Byzantine.

30 years ago I complained that a section of the ANSI C standard was hard to
understand because the language was stilted seemed ambiguous to me. I was
told 'a complete reading of the document will render full understanding of
this issue'.
Instead of debating whether the spec could be interpreted as saying what we
know it should say, wouldn't it be better to fix it so we don't get the
same question from another well-intentioned user at some point in the
future?  Or put a disclaimer on the front that says "don't try to
understand this.  You're not qualified." Whichever.