Re: Validator ask for bzip2, but barfs when it gets what it asked for

2013-05-26 17:20, Klaus Alexander Seistrup wrote:

> I was checking my identity page for errors, but Validator barfed:
>
>   »Sorry! This document cannot be checked.
>
>    A fatal error occurred when attempting to decode response body
>    from http://klaus.seistrup.dk/. Either we do not support the
>    content encoding specified (“bzip2”), or an error occurred while
>    decoding it.

Contrary to what you write in the Subject line, the validator does not
ask for bzip2. It just announces that it can handle some encodings, with
x-bzip2 among them.

>    The error was: Don't know how to decode Content-Encoding ‘bzip2’«
>
> Here's the request headers from Validator:
[...]
>    Accept-Encoding: gzip, x-gzip, deflate, x-bzip2.

The names “bzip2” and “x-bzip2” are not the same, although they are
probably used to denote the same encoding. By normal Internet
principles, any unregistered encoding should have a name that starts
with “x-”, but perhaps the validator could be a bit more liberal and
accept “bzip2” too – it can hardly mean anything else.

On the other hand, the server is in error if it sends “bzip2” when the
request does not list it.

I’m not sure what happens here otherwise – both Firefox and Chrome get a
response that has “Content-Encoding:gzip” and “Vary: Accept-Encoding”,
and they don’t specify x-bzip2 or bzip2 in their Accept-Encoding request
header.

Yucca