Re: How to correct tf8 "\x94"

2013-02-23 20:06, Kolaylezzet yemek ve çay saatleri wrote:

> Following error message appears when I check my website
> http://www.kolaylezzet.com/
[…]
> The error was: utf8 "\x94" does not map to Unicode."

The error message is poorly worded, or even plain wrong. In 2008, there
was a discussion on improving it, with no result:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2008May/0106.html

Anyway, what the message tries to say is that when reading the document,
with UTF-8 as the declared or implied character encoding, the validator
encountered the byte 94 (hexadecimal) in a context where it must not
appear in UTF-8 data. So this is a character-level data error (the bytes
do not constitute characters), quite independent of any HTML markup issues.

When I tested the page, the error message reported line 677 as
containing the error, and that line starts with

rel=�external� rel="nofollow"

where “�” indicate character data errors as described above. Apparently,
they are supposed to be quotation marks, but probably “curly” quotation
marks were used instead of "vertical" Ascii quotation marks. And
presumably, the line was inserted so that the “curly” quotation marks
were in windows-1252 encoding. Windows-1252 encoded “curly” quotation
marks, when inserted as raw data into UTF-8 data, make the data invalid.

So you need to find out where the line comes from and to replace the
“curly” quotation marks by the Ascii quotations marks (").

Yucca