From: David Dorward [mailto:dorward@gmail.com] On Behalf Of David Dorward
Sent: 11 February 2013 2:25 PM
To: Nigel Brown
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web address in link causes errors (that are not of my making!)

On 9 Feb 2013, at 21:02, Nigel Brown <nigel.brown@live.com> wrote:

> I have a line of code in the Sitemap on my web site at
http://www.nigelbrown..me.uk/my-sitemap.htm that gives rise to 2 validation
errors and 3 warnings. It is a link to a website (the Guestbook). But these
"errors" and "warnings" are not problems with my code; it is because the
validation does not like the Guestbook web address.

No, it isn't. It is because you are writing the address as if it was in a
text document instead of an HTML document.

> How can I help this?

Follow the instructions provided under the error message.

To quote them for you:

The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as
described by the WDG in "Ampersands in URLs".

Entity references start with an ampersand (&) and end with a semicolon (;).
If you want to use a literal ampersand in your document you must encode it
as "&amp;" (even inside URLs!).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk