Re: Error in validator, missing starting <body> tag passes the validation process

"Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, 2013-04-23 09:22 +0300:

> 2013-04-22 15:12, Julio Meca Hansen wrote:
>
> >I’ve discovered what I think it’s an error in the HTML5 validator.
> >Omitting the starting <body> tag makes a web page (using the direct
> >input validator) go valid.
>
> The start tag <body> has always been optional in HTML, except for XHTML,
> which this is not about. So there is no error.

Yup. And note that to help make the tag-omission rules more clear, all the
element sections in the HTML spec were recently updated to include
tag-omission information at point of use; for example:

  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-body-element