Re: Parity between http://validator.w3.org/nu and http://html5.validator.nu/

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Jon Cram <jon@webignition.net> wrote:
> Are changes applied to http://validator.w3.org/nu are also applied to the
> equivalent validator at http://html5.validator.nu/?

In general, yes. In this specific case, not yet. The expected date of
deployment on Validator.nu is November 5th. (I don’t have sufficient
opportunity to respond to problems if problems were to arise as a
result of redeployment before then.)

> Are both services
> derived from the same codebase, such that changes are made to a single
> codebase and then deployed to both http://validator.w3.org/nu and
> http://html5.validator.nu/?

Yes.

> What I ultimately would like to know is: when I see on this mailing list
> that http://validator.w3.org/nu has received fixes, should I expect a local
> reinstall of the validator.nu validator to also contain the same fixes?

Typically, yes. If you redeploy your copy of the Validator.nu
software, you get what’s in the source repository even if the instance
at http://html5.validator.nu/ has not been redeployed yet. However,
occasionally, http://validator.w3.org/nu has run experimental code for
a brief period of time (less than a week, IIRC) before the code
landing in the repository. (It has happened that
http://html5.validator.nu/ has been ahead of the repository but only
for a few minutes.)

In general, if I develop a new feature or a fix, you’ll see it on
http://html5.validator.nu/ first and http://validator.w3.org/nu later
when Mike redeploys. If Mike develops a fix or a feature, you’ll see
it first on http://validator.w3.org/nu and on
http://html5.validator.nu/ later when I redeploy.

--
Henri Sivonen