Re: XHTML 1.0 Strict [Invalid]

2012-10-22 1:14, Paul Andrew Anderson wrote:

> Rather than forcing code to read the content within a URL, and then,
> every URL in every webpage to conform to paradigms that, my I say, will
> never happen, it would make much more sense to have all coding (from
> HTML to HTML8, XHTML to ZHTML, strict, transitional, or otherwise
> titled, for the foreseeable future) to simply ignore all possible
> key-stroke content within the <"URL"> !!

Maybe so, and maybe this will some day happen in HTML5 or its
successors. But that's not to be decided by people who provide
validators. A validator is supposed to check documents against given
rules, not to invent rules or argue about them.

Apart from the ad-hoc HTML5 validation, the W3C Validator is SGML or XML
based and therefore applies the general rules of those languages.
According to them, entity and character references shall be interpreted
in attribute values, and therefore e.g. any occurrence of "&" as data
character must be escaped.

> NOTE: Whenever possible, give the address of the document you were checking.
> Every URL that Google, Yahoo, and other search queries produce; every
> website that exists with a search query URL embedded!

You might be confusing URLs with the way they must be written in HTML.
The URL
https://www.google.com/search?&q=css+cross-browser+compatibility
is correct as is. In HTML,
<a
href="https://www.google.com/search?&q=css+cross-browser+compatibility">Google
Search</a>
is not correct. Just as
M&W
is not correct when written as content in an HTML document. In both
cases, you simply have to escape "&" as "&amp;" (or some equivalent way).

Yucca