Re: Errors in your validation

2012-05-24 20:20, Willy Walle wrote:

> today I have got a validation from you about my website:

No, I think you asked the W3C Markup Validator to check whether your
document complies with the Document Type Definition it purports to
comply with, and it did exactly that.

> http://youlookvideo.de
>
> There were more than 200 errors picked from you,

It looks rather hopeless. I wonder why the page declares an XHTML
document type when its author has clearly no idea of XHTML. Well, it’s a
mix of old-style HTML and XHTML, so validation is rather pointless. It
will just tell you it’s all wrong, but it tells that rather verbosely.

To start with, XHTML is case-sensitive. You can’t just use <META>
instead of <meta>. And in XHTML, any occurrence of “&” as data character
must be escaped (e.g. as “&amp;”).

> but when I checked it, all of them have been ok.

Whether it’s ok to someone is irrelevant. Reportable markup errors are
reportable independently of people’s feelings.

> So what happened.

You asked for a formal check and you got it.

> With other websites of mine was similiar...

Too bad. Mixing old-style HTML and XHTML doesn’t really hurt browsers.
But it means that you cannot effectively validate your documents. The
mix causes so many error messages that it would take ages to distinguish
these syntax errors from other errors that might actually affect
browsers, search engines, or other relevant software.

> So, I think you have to check your algorithm?

No, you need to check your HTML code.

Yucca