Re: [VE][html5] internal error from xmlns=""

5.10.2011 12:53, Phil Blackburn wrote:

> BTW.  The test example I posted earlier was hand-crafted - my lazy typing
> meant it wasn't well-formed.  So before anyone spots the error here it is
> again with the proper closing tags.

I'm rather confused now with all the samples and snippets. Your
_original_ problem report mentioned just one tag, and as I wrote
earlier, if I wrap e.g. a minimal XHTML document around it, there no
oddity, just a report about a syntax error (there is no attribute "xmlns"):
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/test/xmlns.html

This is one of the reasons why it is important to post a URL of problem
document, not a snippet of code.

> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <head>
> <title>Test</title>
> </head>

Yes, that causes the behavior you described. If the doctype is changed
to an XHTML 1.0 doctype, it doesn't happen.

So it's apparently the combined effect of the following that triggers
the bug:
1) <!DOCTYPE html> (which causes HTML5-mode "validation")
2) XML serialization, with <html ... xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
3) xmlns attribute on some other element.

Without item 2, i.e. with HTML serialization, the bug does not appear.
Instead, the following error message appears:

"Bad value for the attribute xmlns (only http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
permitted here)."

... with the following more cryptic warning:

"Attribute xmlns is not serializable as XML 1.0."

I hope this analysis helps to isolate the buggy part of the code.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/