Re: [VE][247] Add Subject Here

Ville Skyttä, Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:11:54 +0200:
> On 11/17/2011 10:38 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> 2011-11-17 7:28, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Jukka K. Korpela, Thu, 17 Nov 2011 01:06:38 +0200:
> If/when you come to an agreement about the new wording for this
> explanation, ping me and I'll have a look at applying it.

Jukka, what do you think about this variant: ?

     NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES:
   * SGML's <FOO /> interpretation differs from the interpretations of
Web browsers and in documents with an XHTML or HTML5 doctype. In
documents with an SGML doctype (HTML4 and earlier), code on the form
<FOO /> (e.g. <hr />) conforms to SGML's legacy SHORTTAG syntax: The
'/' terminates the tag with an implied '>', making the code equivalent
to <FOO>> (<FOO> + the text '>'). If <FOO /> occurs in a context where
an SGML doctype unpermits character data, the '>' will trigger error
too.

Your original proposal:

  NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES:
> "A tag of the form <FOO /> is formally correct but should not be used
> in HTML (as opposite to XHTML). The validator treats it very differently
> from what you expect, and this causes many confusing error messages.
> Remove the '/' character."

The current text in the online version of the validator:

     NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES:
   * The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different
ways, depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict,
the '/' terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since
many browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an
HTML 4.01 Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure
HTML documents and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
--
Leif Halvard Silli