Re: Add Subject Here - meta tags

2011-06-16 13:59, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 08:27 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> That's because HTML5 defines a specific list of allowed values. The list
>> is extensible, using the procedures described at
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/semantics.html#other-metadata-names
>> (but I wouldn't bother).
>
> You wouldn't bother to register the particular keywords mentioned in
> this thread or you wouldn't bother registering anything at all? Why?

I wouldn’t bother registering anything at all. The mechanism is too open
to create chaos. Either everyone and his brother can register virtually
anything there, and then it won’t be taken seriously (you can’t count on
search engines and other relevant software to treat the metadata names
as even close to anything standard-like), or some people will filter out
what they don’t like, and then it doesn’t solve the validation problems
except by accident.

There have been many failing efforts to standardize metadata names.
I expect this one to fail, too, as the procedures appear to be broken by
design. But if registering some names helps to avoid the HTML5 linter’s
(or ”HTML5 validator’s”) error messages, maybe it’s of some help to some
people. There’s of course no guarantee that the registration won’t get
nullified overnight.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/