Re: Net::IP::XS

On 04/14/2011 08:01 AM, Nicholas Bamber wrote:
> I have noticed that there is now an XS alternative to Net::IP. In some
> ways it seems to be better supported.

Can you be more specific in which ways?  The validator uses the module
only for checking if an IP address is public - is there any difference
wrt. that between the two Net::IP implementations?

> Perhaps the choice between the two could be configurable.

Net::IP::XS seems to be licensed only under the GPLv2+ and no other
licenses which I think would be a problem if it means that the
validator's license would have to be changed to GPL as well.  And
installing XS modules and their dependencies tends to be more
problematic than pure Perl ones.

Anyway, based on a quick look I suppose people who want to use the XS
implementation in their setup can simply replace all instances of
Net::IP with Net::IP::XS in the "check" script and it could work.  So
it's already kind of configurable ;)