Re: error mesage

Michal wrote:

> My pages have been valid, but yesterday the W3C validator found a
> mistake, which I don't know, where is it and how can I fixed it.
> The results of my validation of the web pages are here:
> http://lide.gymcheb.cz/~mikrbec/oktava/seminarka-VOS/index.php; I
> think the error is with you.

My guess is that this problem was caused by the recent update of the W3C
validator, and this really looks like a bug that I have not seen before.

It seems that the bug may depend on the use of the windows-1250 encoding. If
I change the Czech text SEMINÁRNÍ PRÁCE Z PŘEDMĚTU VĚDECKÝ OBRAZ SVĚTA
inside the h1 element on line 121 to something in plain Latin letters, like
HEADING, the error message disappears.

For some odd reason, the validator's error message is completely unrelated
to this and very obscure:

Line 7: Premature end of data in tag html line 5
<head><!-- ąčřľý©ČŘ®Ý -->

So it seems to say that the problem is in the <html> tag that starts on line
5, even though the tag clearly ends on that line.

Obscure error conditions may occur when data is malformed at the character
level, i.e. when the octets do not constitute data in the specified encoding
(e.g., data declared as UTF-8 contains octets that are prohibited in UTF-8).
The problem is that a higher-level program like a validator may expect its
data to be in the specified encoding and get confused when it isn't.
Unfortunately, I don't know any character-level "validator" (i.e. a program
that analyzes whether its data consists of defined characters in the
specified encoding). It would not be difficult (just boring) to write such a
tool for a specific encoding like windows-1250. But I don't think this is
the issue here.

At least as an interim solution, consider using the validator
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
It seems to have no problem with your page. I also tested it with the
"validate entire site" option to validate the
http://lide.gymcheb.cz/~mikrbec/oktava/seminarka-VOS/ site (19 pages) in a
bunch.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/