Re: Markup Validation Service not working properly

Mike Graham <michael_graham <at> mac.com> writes:

> To whom it may concern,
> The 'Validate by File Upload' facility of your W3C Markup Validation Service
appears to be malfunctioning intermittently.

> Several times this week I've tried to validate an XHTML Basic 1.1 file via
file upload. On one occasion it validated it correctly and said there were no
errors, but on every other occasion (including this morning) it's reported that
an error has been found while checking the document as HTML 4.01 Transitional.

> The errors it records are:
>
> 1. That no character encoding has been found.
>
> The first line of the file reads as follows: <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?>.

> 2. That it's unable to determine the parse mode because no known document type
could be detected.
> The second and third lines of the file read as follows:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.1//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic11.dtd">
>
> 3. Line 1, Column 1: end of document in prolog. Underneath it says : 'This
error may appear when the validator receives an empty document. Please make sure
that the document you are uploading is not empty, and report any discrepancy.'

> It appears that it's not reading the file. I've tried it with several other
XHTML Basic 1.1 files and received the same response. I know the files are
error-free because your site has validated them perfectly in the past.

> As I said, it validated the file in question (and several others) correctly on
one occasion during this week, but the rest of the time I've received the above
error messages.

> Sincerely,
>
> Mike

I've got the exact same experience since a couple of weeks. Very annoying. It
would be great if somebody could fix this, because it's a very valuable tool!

Yours,

Daco