Re: Validator fails on PHP instructions inside attribute values

David Dorward wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 13:17, Richard Ishida wrote:
>
>> What follows is the output of a validation session.  The validator seems to cope fine with php PIs other than inside attribute values.  Please recognise these as PIs and allow the file to be validated.
>
> The markup validator validates markup, not PHP source code that generates markup.
>
> Run the software you have written and validate the output.
>
> Trying to deal with the PHP code would be, for the simplest cases, impractical and vulnerable to false positives and negatives. For more complex cases it would be a security hazard.

Although I have considerable sympathy with this position (it was
also my own immediate reaction), I note that the HTML 4.0 specification
does in fact recognise the concept of a Processing Instruction (PI) :

	http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.6

I haven't yet had a chance to work out whether this "recognition"
is sufficient for an otherwise-valid document containing valid PIs
to therefore qualify as valid itself.

Philip Taylor