RE: Validator Troubler

Thanks to you, David and Leif Halvard, I have fixed the problem. Thanks for the great help Tatham for fixing my code and being extremely helpful. I now realise <br/> was the wrong code, but am unaware why all the browsers decided to confuse me by physically making the line breaks, and will remember to change all the ampersands on youtube videos in the future.

Thanks a lot,
Cory

From: tatham@oddie.com.au
To: veneno-games@hotmail.com
CC: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: RE: Validator Trouble
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:57:18 +1100

Hi Cory, All of David’s points are correct, and after I got through the first few errors the validations messages were actually all pretty clear. You started with 48 errors and 20 warnings. I have no reduced this to 11 errors and 0 warnings. The remaining errors are all still errors in your own source, not the validator, and relate to how you’re using Flash. To fix the remaining errors, look at using either Flash Satay (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay) or SWFObject (http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/). Note that I did the bare minimum work required to make this file technically validate. It by no means represents best practice design. If you want to improve it (which I assume you do if you’re competing) then you should start by moving all of the styling out of the HTML and into the CSS. The words “align”, “width” and “height” should not be anywhere in your HTML. I’ve attached the original HTML, the improved HTML and a patch file that shows exactly what changes I made. Good luck!  Thanks, Tatham Oddieau mob: +61 414 275 989, us cell: +1 213 422 7068, skype: tathamoddie, landline: +61 2 8011 3982, fax: +61 2 9475 5172my business: tixi.com.au – Ticketing without the dramas From: www-validator-request@w3.org [mailto:www-validator-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Tatham Oddie