Re: Possible bad html passing validator

On 12/8/2010 7:48 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> If I create an html file with the above, the first LI's 650-456-7890
>> doesn't display:
>>
>>     * 8am to 5pm
>>     * 8am to 5pm 650-456-7890
>
> When you say "doesn't display", can you be more specific ?
>
> For example, looking at your attachment in Seamonkey 2.0.10,
> under Win/XP;SP3; I see both <LI>s fine and in full.  Which
> browser are you using, and is there an online version at
> which we can look in case it differs from your attachment ?
>
> Purely as a point of style, I would recommend closing your
> <LI>s, but as you correctly note, their omission does not
> render your document invalid though it /may/ have some
> bearing on the symptoms that you are experiencing.
>
> Philip Taylor

Philip:

Thanks for reply. By bad display, I mean that I expect to see:
     * 8am to 5pm 650-456-7890
     * 8am to 5pm 650-456-7890
and instead see
     * 8am to 5pm
     * 8am to 5pm 650-456-7890

I did run a test with the </LI> to close the line, but that didn't get
included in my cut-and-paste.

Your "works on Seamonkey" made me realize that I hadn't done a check
with different browsers. And that has pointed me in the right direction
as I see the error in Firefox 3.6.12 but not in IE 8.0.6001.18702.

So, I guess I need to change my question to finding out how to submit to
Firefox as a potential bug.

Paul