validator warning purposes

Larger question is the intended use of the validator service.

I don't think any web validation service could ever be targeted so
closely as to avoid advanced users deciding they've outgrown the need
to take advice from the validator.  But without robust explanations,
how will novice users know where to look to outgrow the service
themselves?

Is the service intended as recreation to attain perfect code standing,
or an assistance tool to help new users reach proficiency?