Re: checklink: Is it Possible to Enable mailto link validation?

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 15:54 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Etienne Miret <elimerl@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Of course not. However this is not required in order to check for an
>> email adress. The following SMTP transaction tests two gmail addresses
>> (mine and a bogus one) without sending any mail :
>> [...]
>> This doesn't work with all domains. For example, Yahoo! will always
>> answer "OK" to the RCPT TO command, and report an error only after an
>> email has actually been sent. However, this is a postfix feature, so I
>> guess it works quite well.  [...]
>>

> This is not "a Postfix feature"

You misunderstood me. "This" refered to the action of opening a
connection to an MTA and using RCPT TO commands whithout sending any
mail in order to test wether some email adresses exists.

"This" is defintely a Postfix feature, called "Address verification",
and documented at:
<http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html>

As I stated in my previous mail, I was aware that some MTAs wouldn't
allow this technique to work, but since Postfix developpers spent time
coding and documenting it, I guessed that there weren't so many domains
doing so. That's only a guess though.

Regards,

-- Etienne Miret