Re: Peculiar error count

Paul Nelson wrote, On 2/28/2009 5:34 PM:
> {snip}   The first one itemized was the actual error, the other 13
> were apparent consequences in terms of XML parsing ... a real cascade.
>
>   Would it be possible for the Validator in its summary to distinguish
> between the two?
That would require the implementation of the "I know what they meant"
routine. This routine is much harder to write then the "What I meant"
routine which is what you used to correct the error.

Not to make lite of your question but there have been efforts at code
correcting programs that not only find the errors but make a guess at
correcting them. All the efforts I have seen failed. Carried to the
extreme  you could write <BODY>  </BODY> and the program would fill in
the rest.

I too am sometimes amazed at how many errors one dumb fat-fingered error
can cause.

Lou